Mon-Wed: 10am - 4pm
Thus & Fri: 10am - 2pm
Thurs: 6 - 8pm
Fri: 12 - 2pm
The Pantry originated as Community United in 2004. Operating under the umbrella of the church 501(c)3, this humble pantry began working from a standard sized file cabinet with a client base of 4 families and quickly expanded to a 148 sqare foot trailer. We quickly outgrew the trailer, which forced us to reorganize and relocate.
A group of concerned citizens and business people formed the Colonial Heights Food Pantry in March of 2006. Using 1000 square feet of commercial rented space in Colonial Heights, the (CHFP) was incorporated as of October 2006.
We received our own Letter of Determination from the IRS (Section 501(c)3) as a non- profit organization serving the 23834 zip code targeted area of Virginia in May of 2007. Since our service area has grown to include parts of Southern Chesterfield we have become a regional distribution center for USDA.
The Central Virginia Food Bank was instrumental in the start-up, and continues to be a mentor. In less than 6 months the success of the Food Pantry created the need for more space and we found it necessary to expand to an additional 1,000 square feet.
Although operating in 2,000 sq. ft, it wasn't long before we found the building at full capacity. In the fall of 2008 our lease was not renewed because of parking issues. Once again- we had no building to house the Food Pantry.
The Cameron Foundation and The John Randolph Foundation were instrumental in our survival and there were other generous individuals, corporations, municipalities and churches. In nine years the CHFP has grown from a church program s